Directors and coordinators representing all nine watershed councils in Clackamas County attended a Council of Councils meeting on March 1, 2022.
District Manager Chris Lapp and staff member Cathy McQueeney represented the Clackamas SWCD. The event was organized and facilitated by Alexis Barton of Tryon Creek Watershed Council and Neil Shulman of North Clackamas Watersheds Council.
What is the purpose of the Council of Councils?
The Council of Councils provides the group with an excellent opportunity to network with colleagues who represent watersheds in all areas of the District. Additionally, participants have the chance to get acquainted with new leaders and discuss creative opportunities to partner together to achieve shared goals.
What Was the Outcome of the Meeting?
Attendees shared best practices for developing financial management plans for their organizations. They also discussed ways to optimize their resources and strengths as a collaborative unit. Councils drew on their diversity to assist one another on these topics:
- developing strong written financial policies and procedures – members of the councils will meet in late March to address this topic more fully
- exploring more ways to collaborate and not compete for limited funding
- deciphering new infrastructure funding and finding ways to collaborate on shared projects
- addressing inequity, both historically and in current program implementation
- undertaking strategic planning, especially how the District’s upcoming planning process will impact future partner funding