Next month, Oregon City will be recognized as the state’s 55th Tree City USA community! The designation is intended to raise awareness about the benefits of trees and the importance of urban forestry for our communities. Clackamas County SWCD is celebrating this achievement by giving away FREE native trees to Oregon City residents. Quantities are limited and must be reserved in advance. Call Erik at 503-210-6012 to reserve your tree.
- Participants must be Oregon City residents.
- One tree per household.
- The Tree City USA award ceremony is scheduled for Wednesday evening, April 17 at City Hall. Reserved trees will be distributed between 6pm and 7pm in the City Hall parking lot prior to the event.
Available tree species include:
- Valley ponderosa pine – Pinus ponderosa
- Vine maple – Acer circinatum
- Black hawthorn – Crataegus douglasii
- Western crabapple – Malus fusca
- Bitter cherry – Prunus emarginata
- Shore pine – Pinus contorta
- Doug fir – Pseudotsuga menziesii
- Oregon white oak – Quercus garryana
- Cascara – Rhamnus purshiana
- Western redcedar – Thuja plicata
- Mountain hemlock – Tsuga mertensiana
A tree planting guide will be included with each tree. Erik Carr, the District’s Urban Conservation Specialist, will be available to answer your tree planting questions.
Trees will be distributed in either 2-gallon, 3-gallon, or 5-gallon pots, depending on availability.
While not required, we ask that you send us a picture of you with your newly planted tree. Your pictures will help us promote future tree planting events in our city!
PLEASE NOTE: Some of these trees can become quite large. We strongly encourage residents to follow the ‘Right Tree, Right Place’ approach and carefully consider your site before selecting a tree. We are happy to provide guidance to help you select the perfect tree for your site!